According to GATS (Global Adult Tobacco Survey, India, 2009-10) India is 274.9 million, with 163.7 million users of only smokeless tobacco, 68.9 million only smokers, and 42.3 million users of both smoking and smokeless tobacco. Ironically 5500 people mainly children are picking up this habit of tobacco daily. (Government of India, 2010a). Currently around 2500 people are dying every day in India due to tobacco and its consequences. Every year nearly 8–9 lakh people die due to diseases related to tobacco use in India.
Punjab has 22 districts with approximately 27.74 million people living here. Considering the population of 2.75 Crores, 33 lakh population in Punjab uses tobacco in some form or the other. About 48 persons of Punjab die every day due to tobacco use (Government of India, 2010a; Government of India, 2010b).
To assess and measure level of compliance to all major sections of COTPA, a robust survey using scientific protocols was instituted by Generation Saviour Association and conducted by School of Public Health, PGIMER, Chandigarh in collaboration with Department of Health and Family Welfare, Government of Punjab and The Union South-East Asia (The Union) in the year of 2016 - 2017 in 15 districts of Punjab. The survey covered both urban and rural areas of these districts. Out of 15 districts s districts were high COTPA compliant with compliance of Section 4, 5, 6a, 6b and 7,8,9 being more than 75% compliance with respect to mean of major compliance indicators. It is worth highlighting that after the extensive awareness drives by The Association from 2015 to 2017 six districts namely Hoshiarpur, Taran Tarn, Fatehgarh Sahib, Mansa, Sri Muktsar Sahib and Faridkot had a compliance of perfect 100% to Section 5. To emphasize key findings of the study concisely facts-sheets are being prepared and shared.
- GATS-2-Factsheet-of-Punjab.pdf (11 downloads)
- Newsletter_Tobacco-Control_GSA_Jan_18_F.pdf (12 downloads)
- Newsletter_Tobacco-Control_GSA_December_17.pdf (13 downloads)
- GSA-News-Letter-March-2018.pdf (15 downloads)
- Ban-on-Loose-Cigarette-in-Haryana.pdf (25 downloads)
- Monthly-Newsletter-GSA-Special-Edition.pdf (27 downloads)
- audit-report-2013-Page-2.jpg (27 downloads)
- Newsletter_Tobacco-Control_GSA_March_2017.pdf (28 downloads)
- Fact-Sheets_Sangrur.pdf (28 downloads)
- audit-report-2013-Page-1.jpg (28 downloads)
- Fact-Sheets_Taran-Tarn.pdf (28 downloads)
- Fact-Sheets_Gurdaspur.pdf (28 downloads)
- Fact-Sheets_Jalandhar.pdf (29 downloads)
- Fact-Sheets_Roopnagar.pdf (29 downloads)
- Monthly Newsletter of November 2015 (29 downloads)